How much does it cost for a guided elk hunt?
The Guided Hunt
How much does an elk hunt cost? Elk hunts go for as little as $2,000 to well over $10,000. The area, style of hunting, caliber of bulls and accommodations, all influence how much you will pay. Outfitters who lease private ground, hunt out of a lodge and drive clients around in trucks, charge more.
How much does an elk hunt cost in New Mexico?
Rifle or Muzzleloader
|5 Day Rifle||National Forest||$7,600.00 – $10,500*|
|5 Day Muzzloader||National Forest||$7,600.00|
|5 Day Cow Elk||N/A||$1,800.00 – $2,300*|
|6 Day Archery||National Forest||$5,800.00 – $8,000*|
How much do hunting guides charge?
Fully guided hunts can cost anywhere from $2,000-$15,000. The wide price range is largely dependent on the type of animal you hunt and where you choose to hunt at. Big game hunts, like trophy bison or bull elk hunts, cost more than guided wingshooting or turkey hunts.
How much does a cow elk tag cost in New Mexico?
Cow only tags for Resident: $70.00, Non Resident: $354.00.
What is the best elk unit in New Mexico?
New Mexico Game Management Unit 16D
Game Management Unit 16-D is probably the most popular unit in New Mexico for trophy bulls. This unit has more hype than any other unit in New Mexico and for good reason. Although it’s not our personal favorite, it is most definitely a premiere unit for trophy bull elk.
Where is the cheapest place to hunt elk?
Affordable Archery Elk Hunts
- Idaho/Wyoming Public Land. This outfitter has the best trophy quality of the four with chances at bulls over 320″. …
- New Mexico Private Land with Landowner Permits Included. This hunt has two different kinds of ranches. …
- Colorado Public Land.
California, Nevada and New Mexico do not offer any OTC Elk tags, so all elk tags in these states are limited entry only. Some of the OTC tags are not limited except in certain units, while other tags may be limited state-wide.
Which state has the best elk hunting?
So, here are the 10 states with the best elk hunting opportunities.
- Colorado. Many say Colorado is the best state for hunting elk because of its numbers.
- Oregon. Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife. …
- Utah. Utah rivals Arizona when it comes to trophy elk hunting. …
- Idaho. …
- Montana. …
- Wyoming. …
- New Mexico. …
- Washington. …
How many elk are in New Mexico?
Today the New Mexico Department of Game and Fish estimates the statewide elk population at 70,000 to 90,000. Roughly 7,000 live in the Jemez Mountains, including an estimated 2,000 to 2,500 in Valles Caldera National Preserve.
Why are guided hunts so expensive?
“Why are guided elk hunts so expensive?” Because there are plenty of people willing to pay the prices asked. Supply and demand. It’s as simple as that.
How much does an elk guide make?
Guides are lucky to make between $100 and $150 per day wage from an outfitter and they literally work daylight to dark. Some guides I have found little use for and some make a trip amazing regardless of success level.
Where can I hunt elk in New Mexico?
Top Areas in New Mexico for Elk Hunting
- Gila National Forest. Located in the top trophy elk-producing county (Catron) from 2000 to 2009, the areas within the Gila National Forest consistently produce the best bulls in New Mexico. …
- Valles Caldera National Preserve. …
- Cibola National Forest. …
- Valle Vidal.