The Gould’s turkey is a bird of the mountainous areas of this region. It is the largest of the five subspecies and resembles the Merriam’s turkey. They have longer legs, larger feet, and larger center tail feathers than any of the other wild turkey subspecies in North America.
What turkey is the biggest?
Gould’s Wild Turkey
It’s the biggest subspecies of all, as males regularly weigh 30 pounds.
What are the 4 types of wild turkeys?
Where the Wild Turkeys Are
- Eastern wild turkey. (Meleagris gallopavo silvestris) …
- Osceola wild turkey. (Meleagris gallopavo osceola) …
- Rio Grande wild turkey. (Meleagris gallopavo intermedia) …
- Merriam’s wild turkey. (Meleagris gallopavo merriami) …
- Gould’s wild turkey. (Meleagris gallopavo mexicana)
How big can a wild turkey grow?
Size and weight: The wild turkey is the heaviest member of the Galliformes order. The male typically weighs between 11 to 24 pounds and is 39-49 inches long. The female, significantly smaller than the male, weighs 5 to 12 pounds and is only 30 to 37 inches long.
What is the hardest turkey to hunt?
1. Easterns: Hunter pressure in tight habitats make this subspecies the most difficult in the country. More turkey hunters roam Eastern states than any of the others. An Alabama Eastern three-year-old longbeard might be the most difficult turkey of all.
Which state has the largest wild turkey population?
1. Missouri. Home to more than 317,000 Eastern turkeys, hunters harvested 47.603 of them.
How many breeds of wild turkeys are there?
Eastern wild turkeys can be differentiated from Rio Grande wild turkeys by the coloration of the tips of the tail feathers and the upper tail coverts (feathers of the lower back, covering the base of the tail feathers).
What is an Osceola turkey?
Osceola turkeys are a subspecies of the eastern wild turkey. … This dark turkey with black wings that have small white bands on them and dark-brown-tipped tail feathers lives in south Florida.
What is the best eating turkey?
Royal Palms are great layers, great moms, and they taste the best amongst heritage breeds. Midget White: Toms weigh about 16-20 pounds, hens about 8-12 pounds. Midget White is the most popular heritage breed for its meat taste and easiness to raise. Blue Slate: Toms weigh about 23 pounds, hens about 14 pounds.
How long do turkeys live for?
“Wild turkeys feed on the ground, which may have something to do with the myth that they can’t fly. The have to fly, however, because they roost in trees at night. Some accounts say they can soar up to 55 mph for short bursts,” LiveScience.com reports.
Do female turkeys have rednecks?
Male turkeys have larger wattles, the flap of skin under their beak, than females. They also have more caruncles, bumps or growths, on their heads and necks. Both the wattles and caruncles of male turkeys turn bright red when they are strutting and showing off for females.